Friday, January 16, 2009

Karibuni - Welcome to the Harambe Wildlife Reserve


So it has been quite a while since I have posted here, sorry, but I've been pretty busy with training and such.  

Today I finished my fifth day of training, and tomorrow I have my assessment.  Starting Sunday I will be a full blown safari driver!

We have done a lot of stuff throughout training and I won't go into all of it because it is a lot to remember and write about.  But I thought I would explain a little bit about what we do.

Kilimanjaro Safaris is located in Harambe, a town in east Africa (somewhere between Kenya and Tanzania).  Harambe means "Let's all pull together" in swahili, the language of east Africa.  From the Harambe village , we travel out on two week safaris through the Harambe Wildlife Reserve, a 600 square mile wildlife sanctuary featuring many different protected species.  On our safaris you can see many different kinds of animals in lots of different habitats.  Often you will see elephant, reticulated giraffe, white rhino, cheetah, and many other animals.

I'll talk more about the story of Harambe and our character in it in another post.  But I really am loving my job and am having a lot of fun with it.  I get to see and teach people about beautiful animals every day, and hopefully people will come away from their day wanting to help conserve and protect animals and their habitats.

No comments:

Post a Comment